SAPG reflections on 2022
SAPG has had excellent attendance at its meetings and network events and high levels of engagement from its stakeholders, who ensure that the work delivered is relevant and meets the requirements of frontline clinicians and patients in Scotland.
The group has been very proactive in updating guidance, creating guidance and publications.
- Good practice guidance on ratification of antimicrobial policies
- Good Practice Recommendations for antimicrobial management teams on hospital antimicrobial stewardship in NHS Scotland
- Good practice recommendations for surgical and procedural antibiotic prophylaxis in adults in NHS Scotland
- Good practice recommendations for redosing antibiotics for surgical prophylaxis in adults
- Updated advice on antimicrobial management of Clostridioides difficile (C.diff) Infection (CDI)
- Updated advice on antimicrobial management of Clostridioides difficile (C.diff) Infection (CDI) in children
- Supported clinicians by producing guidance in December at short notice on antibiotic management of Group A Streptococcus (GAS, Strep. pyogenes) infection in children age 18 and under (now withdrawn)
- Developed an outpatient parenteral antimicrobial therapy (OPAT) pathway for the management of adults with complicated skin and soft tissue infections (SSTI). For further developments in OPAT from the SAPG OPAT group and Scottish Government OPAT clinical network, please click here
- Guidance on the use of co-trimoxazole in secondary care in NHS Scotland was produced to support antimicrobial management teams in wider adoption of co-trimoxazole into local guidance.
- Feedback of Antibiotic Prescribing in Primary Care (FAPPC) trial: results of a real-world cluster randomized controlled trial in Scotland, UK
Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, Published: 29 September 2022
- Associations between declining antibiotic use in primary care in Scotland and hospitalization with infection and patient satisfaction: longitudinal population study
Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, Volume 77, Issue 9, September 2022, Pages 2561–2568 https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dkac191
- Optimum length of treatment with systemic antibiotics in adults with dental infections: a systematic review
Evidence-Based Dentistry (2022), Published: 07 September 2022
- Indications for the use of metronidazole in the treatment of non-periodontal dental infections: a systematic review
JAC-Antimicrobial Resistance, Volume 4, Issue 4, August 2022, dlac072
Content updated Feb 2023