Penicillin Allergy De-labelling
SAPG developed and piloted a risk-based process to remove penicillin allergy labels from patients with unverified allergy.
Our work supports the use of our toolkit of resources by non-allergy specialists to remove penicillin allergy labels from patients with unverified allergic reactions with positive implications for patients in terms of options for future antibiotic treatment.
Toolkit resources were reviewed by the steering group one year after launch. Minor changes about dealing with patients on anti-hypertensive medication have been made to the Risk algorithm and FAQs document. All other documents are unchanged.
Resources for clinicians
- Protocol for implementation of penicillin allergy de-labelling in adult patients in acute hospitals (pdf)
- Patient risk allergy algorithm (pdf)
- Management of patients experiencing allergic symptoms (pdf)
- Frequently asked questions to support use of the penicillin allergy de-labelling algorithm and oral challenge test (pdf)
- GP de-labelling letter (positive) (docx)
- GP de-labelling letter (negative) (docx)
- Allergy card front (pdf)
- Allergy card back (pdf)
Resources for patients